Saturday, October 17, 2015

First day post 30

I'm posting out of order.  I'm so sorry.  It's just the way it is.  I cannot be counted on to maintain a blog.  So, my friends, you will have to jump around with me.  I was going to wait to post about my first day post 30, but that's silly.  Let's start at the first mile marker, shall we?

A funny story that last night neither of us wanted to cook, so we decided to order a greek salad from Zoe's.  Their salad is so yummy and they serve it over a scoop of their potato salad made with a vinegar dressing, and green onions.  It's delish and was a welcome substitute for the feta cheese, turns out.  Since yesterday was our last day of Whole 30, and I was going to eat diary today, I figured I'd just get feta on my salad.  After all, it's better that way (that creamy saltiness of the feta).  So I ordered Joe's without and mine with.  They left it off both.  No cheese for me.  The universe conspired to make me finish, with honors.

So, I did.  I woke this morning and discovered I've lost 13 lbs in the last 30 days.  That's awesome!  That's really only one of the benefits that I've reaped from completing Whole 30.  My palate is more refined.  I don't have cravings.  I've had a healthy belly, and no heartburn.  I have more energy.  I'm satisfied all day long.  And the food we are making is just delicious.  We are forced to be creative with less ingredients, and we are going for big flavor so that we feel satisfied.

I made an amazing soup tonight for dinner.  I may add chicken, or shrimp to the leftovers if we want a protein.  I've been a little sick of meat the past few days, so meatless it was.  

You can also use peanut butter for that more traditional Thai flavor.  The tahini is really rich, and the sweetness from the almond butter balances out the bitterness of the tahini.  It is rich and delicious.  I was getting to the bottom of my tahini, so it was a bit thick...do yourself a favor, if yours is thick, and blend it up with the squash.  Make sure it's blended well so you don't get a mouthful of tahini all of a sudden.

Here's the recipe:

Roasted Thai Curry Soup

2 lbs. roasted butternut squash
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 tsp. olive oil 
1 onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1.5 inch piece ginger root, grated
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
2 T Thai Red Curry Paste
1/2 c. tahini and raw almond butter
1 tsp. Fish Sauce (has sugar in it)
1 tsp. coconut aminos
few squirts of sriracha (has sugar in it)

2 T fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro


Cut large butternut squash in half, lengthwise.  Scoop out seeds, dry and roast them.  Yum.  Oil a pan, and put squash cut side down, and roast until the skin is nice and brown, and the squash is soft, and roasted around the edges.  That’s where the extra flavor is.  I roast at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Allow to cool and remove skin, put in bowl and puree with immersion blender, or whatever you have.   Taste the squash, it’s so sweet and delicious.  

Now, sauté onion in olive oil for a few minutes until soft.  Add garlic, peppers, ginger, mushrooms and sauté until soft.   Add the coconut milk, nut/seed butter, veggie or chicken broth, curry paste, and other seasonings, except for lime juice and cilantro.   Cook on low for another 20 minutes so flavors can blend.  Adjust seasonings as needed.  Add lime juice and cilantro 10 minutes before serving.  Give extra to squeeze on top.  Garnish with bean sprouts, cilantro, chopped almonds, green onions, or whatever you wish.

This soup is rich and delicious.  There are many flavors to be savored, with an undertone of warmth and spiciness. 


For Whole 30:  Don’t use sriracha, or fish sauce.  Use coconut aminos, and another hot sauce or paste instead. 



Hope you enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment